Last week, my four-year-old woke up in great spirits and had a typical morning. Then he fell asleep, which is not typical for him, and woke up looking like a frog with huge glands and a fever of 101.
I took him to the urgent care, and he was diagnosed with strep from a rapid strep test. We got home around 5:30 pm, and I looked in my primary resource for homeopathic remedies, The Complete Homeopathy Handbook by Miranda Castro.
I looked under sore throat, with swollen glands, and sudden onset with fever. Belladonna was strongly indicated, and I started giving doses in 200c potency once an hour for three hours before bed, and once during the night.
He woke up around 7:30 am the next day, fever free and full of energy. I had to keep reminding him that he was sick, and to take it easy. He had swollen glands for about two days, but felt fine, and then was completely back to normal. The glands are what filter out the dead bacteria, so it isn’t a horrible thing for them to be swollen following an illness. He has been fine ever since.
While in this country we have been conditioned to believe that you have to take antibiotics to get rid of strep, this is NOT true. According to the Cigna website:
“Strep throat will go away in 3 to 7 days with or without treatment. Doctors usually treat strep throat with antibiotics even though they may not make you well faster. Antibiotics shorten the time you are able to spread the disease to others (are contagious) and lower the risk of spreading the infection to other parts of your body.”
While this is true, I DO NOT RECOMMEND not treating strep. There are serious complications from strep including rheumatic fever and glomerulonephritis.
That being said, choosing to forgo antibiotics does not mean that you are not treating the strep. There are other ways to treat illness, but in our society, every other option is looked down upon. Homeopathic remedies work to boost your body’s natural disease fighting abilities to overcome the infection on its own. I can’t think of a better way of healing than letting the body God gave us do what it was made to do!
Homeopathic remedies are often believed to be a placebo, or quackery, or whatever, but I can tell you as a mom and a user of homeopathic remedies, that they do work. However, there are several parameters that must be met for them to work.
- Correct remedy- There are THOUSANDS of remedies, and probably at least a hundred of them for sore throats. You must use a remedy indicated for the specific symptoms you are experiencing. There isn’t one remedy labeled “strep throat.” Read about how to choose the correct remedy here. And here is a list of common remedies and symptoms associated with them, for sore throats.
- Correct potency- During acute illnesses, typically taking 200c potency will help the body move through the illness. Sometimes, you need to move up to 1M or down to 30c, so knowledge of potencies is key.
- Correct frequency- I find that giving doses hourly (or even every half-hour during severe illnesses) at first brings healing. But you also need to know when to stop giving doses as well. In homeopathy, less is more.
- Correct method- Some people take remedies dry under the tongue, but I have found that diluting in water and taking teaspoon doses with succussions between doses is the most effective way to dose. Read more about how to take a homeopathic remedy here.
- Correct remedy for phase of illness- I have found that most acute illnesses require more than one remedy to complete the cure. When I had strep last year, I started with one remedy, and when my symptoms changed, switched to another that fit those symptoms. It required several remedies to complete the cure.
When I had strep last year (read about it here), I went through several remedies and a week of being sicker than a dog. I have never been so weak and ill in my life. I was determined, however, to let my body do the healing with the help of remedies. I had a history of recurrent strep treated with antibiotics to the point that doctors recommended removing my tonsils.
Looking back, I am proud of myself for going through that horrible week, because when my husband and son both had strep this past month, I did not get it! I did have some minor throat discomfort for a few days, but it never developed into anything more serious. I also did work to heal my gut of harmful bacteria between last year and this year, and the combination of letting my body deal with the strep bacteria without antibiotics and healing my gut, this year the bacteria did not take me down.
I have been studying homeopathy for almost two years now, and it is becoming easier to be a home prescriber for the acute conditions that arise in my family. It still is challenging at times, and even during this bout of strep, I consulted my professional homeopath to double check that I was giving the right remedy. She often has insights that the books do not, such as which remedies work best in the beginning stages of illness, and which work better for illnesses that hang on. I highly recommend working with someone who knows what they are doing! And as a reminder, never treat chronic illnesses on your own.
To read more about my journey and experiences with homeopathy, go here. If you are interested in learning more to become a home prescriber for your family, I highly recommend taking an online class through Sheri Nakken. If you are interested in a consulation with an excellent homeopath, visit Millbrae Homeopathic.
My Top 5 Homeopathy Articles
- Natural Cure for Menstrual Cramps
- Natural Remedy for Sinus Infections
- Love Those Ants
- Natural Teething Remedy
- How to Take a Homeopathic Remedy